Monday, May 7, 2012

Craigslist find: Manzanita Trees

Early on in the planning process, I saw the Manzanita trees I wanted on Etsy for $80 a piece. Obviously, that didn't fit my decorating budget. That didn't squelch my desire to have these little table top trees as my centerpieces for the reception. So, when I found an awesome deal on Craigslist for these, I hopped in the car and took off. We got 8 trees for under $100. That's a deal!
The pink flowers weren't my taste, but they were hot glued on. So, we just heated up the glue by aiming a hair dryer at each glob for about 30 seconds and pulled them off. We also spray painted them brown because they were previously black. The crystals went back on and we hot glued moss onto the base to cover the florist cubes holding the trees in place.
To make the balls, we used this tutorial from dollar store crafts blog and modified it. We used the same circle punch, created the cones with the lunch bag cutouts and then hot glued them to tiny newspaper balls. Basically, a tiny coffee filter ball. I think they look slightly like hydrangeas, except, you know, brown. Total project for center pieces: $100 for trees, $5 for spray paint, $2 for moss and $1 for a package of brown lunch bags from the dollar store. Total investment = less than $110.

No comments:

Post a Comment