Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chalkboard (in any color!)

A huge wedding trend right now involves chalkboards. I loved the idea of using chalkboards but the fact that they are either green or black didn't exactly get me excited. Then, I found this tutorial online of how to make chalkboard paint in any color by combining unsanded grout with basic craft paint. I picked up this plaque on clearance at Hobby Lobby. I sanded it just slightly to rough up the paint.
The trick was to find unsanded grout that was actually a powder. I ended up paying closer to six dollars for the grout, so this wasn't exactly the most cost effective project, but it was fun to do.
1 1/2 teaspoons of the grout
1/4 cup of the craft paint in whatever color you so choose
I painted the plaque with an old brush. I was okay with the textured look. I'd use a roller or sponge brush if you want a smoother surface. When it dried, I cured it by simply rubbing a piece of chalk over the flat surface of the board. Bam! I had a brown chalkboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment