Monday, May 7, 2012

Coffee Filter Light

We made this light out of an empty letter we thrifted. Paper Street Market in St. Petersburg sells these letters salvaged from old store signs. They sell ones that have the covers on them and some without. When I found this G, I picked it up. I wanted to create a pretty way to display it with lights inside. First, we drilled a hole in the back of the letter big enough to pull a plug through. We bought a piece of regular posterboard, traced the outline of the letter and cut it out. We used a hole punch and then pushed each bulb of the Christmas lights through the holes.
Then we used our coffee filter cones (see earlier post) and hot glued them on to the posterboard. We pushed down the posterboard inside the letter.
Disclaimer: I'm not guaranteeing that the Christmas lights will not catch the filters on fire. We kept it on for several hours and it didn't get hot, so we felt pretty safe. We put the letter on our cake table.

1 comment:

  1. That's a fun idea! I love Paper Street Market! I blogged about them a couple of months ago. I want to get an A (for Alistair) and a W (for Wesley) for my boys' room. Here's a link to my post. http://jennlikesit.com/2012/03/airplanes-burgers-and-antiques-in-downtown-st-pete/

    ReplyDelete